Peanut Butter and Jelly is always a good idea. The liquid version is just as tasty and absolutely refreshing. This peanut butter jelly iced milk tea recipe is super easy and fun to make and might even become your new favourite dessert milk tea.
Ingredients for making Peanut Butter and Jelly drink
Peanut butter: Peanut butter is a key ingredient in making this recipe. Rather than using a regular peanut butter, opt for the powder instead. Powder is not as greasy and melts really well in liquids. It's available from Amazon and online fitness stores.
Fruits: you'll need 100 grams of red currants, raspberries or strawberries or other fruits of your choice. Different fruits will have different levels of sweetness and sourness, so adjust the sugar content if needed. You want a sweet, rather than a sour flavour.
Agar agar: Agar agar is a vegan friendly alternative to gelatine, and it's very easy to use. It can be used for thickening jams instead of pectin. Do not add too much as you want a jam rather than jelly consistency. Agar agar will set fast.
Black tea: Use a stronger black tea with toasty, nutty, chocolaty or malty notes. Assam tea will usually work great in this recipe. Other good choices are Yunnan black tea and regular breakfast blends. Loose tea will often offer a more refined flavour profile and less murkiness and bitterness. However, if you have good quality black tea in tea bags, you can use them too. Use 1 heaped teaspoon of loose tea or 1-2 tea bags, depending on the strength.
Milk: Full fat or while milk is the best choice for making milk teas, as it will have a nicer texture than semi-skimmed or skimmed milk. Vegan friendly milk alternatives such as oat milk, almond milk or cashew milk all have a good flavour profile for this recipe.
Steps for making Peanut Butter Jelly milk tea
Make a jelly: To make a jelly, add fruits and water into a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain after 15 minutes into a clean saucepan, to remove fruit chunks. Add sugar and simmer until it dissolves. Add agar agar and simmer for a few minutes.
Combine milk and peanut butter powder: In a saucepan, combine milk and peanut butter powder and simmer while stirring. Do not let it boil. You can use a frother to improve the texture but remove the froth before pouring it into a serving glass.
Make the tea: Bring water to a boil and steep tea for 5 minutes in boiling water. Don't over-steep it to avoid bitterness and murkiness. If you want to achieve a layered look, do not add any sugar to tea.
Assemble the drink: Start by adding a layer of jelly. Pour it while it's still hot. Then add ice and pour milk with peanut butter powder. Add more ice if needed. Pour the tea straight onto ice.
Can I use regular jam instead of making it?
Yes, you can use regular jam. However, when making the bottom layer yourself, you'll get a consistency that's closer to a thick syrup. A bit of agar agar will thicken it further without the need to use too much sugar.
Can I add boba pearls to this milk tea?
If you want to turn this peanut butter and jelly drink into a boba tea, add jelly, rather than boba pearls. When making a jelly, simply add more agar agar and pour it into a mould. Once it sets, cut it into smaller cubes and add to the drink after adding milk with peanut butter and ice.
Peanut Butter Jelly Iced Milk Tea
- Kitchen strainer
- Serving glass
- 1 heaped teaspoon black tea
- 2 heaped teaspoons peanut butter powder
- 150 ml water
- 150 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 70 ml water or 100 if you want a higher layer
- 100 grams of red currants, raspberries or strawberries
- 3-4 teaspoons of sugar for jelly depending on how sweet the fruits are
- 1/8 teaspoon of agar agar
- Wash the fruits and remove any stems or leaves.
- Add them into a saucepan together with 150 ml of water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain into a clean saucepan, add sugar and simmer while stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add agar agar and continue simmering for a few minutes.
- Pour it into a serving glass. Add about 30-50 ml, depending on the sweetness.
- Add ice.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and peanut butter and simmer until dissolved. Pour it into a serving glass.
- Bring water to a boil. Steep 1 heaped teaspoon of black tea in 70-100 ml of water for 5 minutes. Strain and pour into a serving glass, straight onto ice.