Milkshakes can be much more than just shaken milk and ice cream. With a few more ingredients, you can turn a simple milkshake into a proper dessert in less than 10 minutes. This simple Banana Milkshake is great for any season, not only summer. It's icy but slightly spicy, creamy and easy to make.
There's a thin line between a milkshake and a frappe. Although a milkshake is usually made with ice cream, you can make it with other ingredients too. Both frappe and milkshake are made with milk, but frappe will usually have a lighter texture and will not contain ice cream. Milkshakes are usually made without coffee, and frappe was invented because of coffee.
Although you can make a milkshake with any vanilla ice cream, creamier dairy ice cream will give a nice texture and flavour. However, this recipe is quite forgiving. Banana will give a thicker texture than fruits with higher water content, so even if you choose a non-dairy less creamy ice-cream, you will still get a delicious drink. Choose ripe banana to add more sweetness and creaminess and a full fat dairy or non-dairy milk.
This is a calorie-rich banana milkshake with tea, so it's best prepared and served as a dessert, rather than regular refreshment. It also contains caffeine from black tea, so it can be a great early afternoon treat or an after-lunch dessert.
Searching for the best milk alternative? Check out these 5 dairy free milks.
This recipe is made with Gorreana broken leaf black tea, with strong, slightly fruity flavour, light astringency, and full body. Stronger black teas are a great choice for making tea-based drinks. Other strong black tea or cinnamon/caramel/toffee flavoured black teas will work great well.
Black Tea Banana Milkshake
- Disposable tea bag, infuser or a teapot
- Straw and glass for serving
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 2 teaspoons of strong black tea
- 70 ml of water
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 4 large heaped spoons of ice cream
- 50 ml of cold milk
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Bring fresh water to a boil.
- Steep 2 teaspoons of strong black tea in 70 ml of freshly boiled water for 5-7 minutes and strain.
- Peel and slice 1/2 of a ripe banana.
- Add ice cubes, banana and tea into a blender and blend for30-60 seconds.
- Add milk, cinnamon and ice cream and blend for another 10-20seconds.
- Pour into a glass and serve.