Festive breakfast deserves more than just regular ingredients. Make it more cheerful and fun with this super simple homemade Christmas granola.
How to make granola?
What's great about homemade granola is that you can make it in literally 2-3 minutes + drying time. You can make it as healthy or as indulgent as you want and choose from dozens of ingredients. Homemade granola won't cost you a lot, and it will taste delicious.
Ingredients for making Christmas granola
To make this recipe, gather all the ingredients first.
Hazelnuts – First, dry roast hazelnuts in the oven for about 40 minutes at 120 degrees. While this step is not necessary, it will add more flavour to hazelnuts and you will be able to peel off the skin. The easiest way to crush them is to put them into a clean zip-lock bag or wrap them into a clean kitchen towel and use a kitchen mallet.
Oats – use either thick rolled or thin rolled oats, whichever you prefer the most. You can use both of them as well and even add some rye flakes too.
Chocolate – Chocolate will melt in the oven. If you don't have chocolate drops, you can make white chocolate shreds from regular white chocolate.
Place all ingredients in a bowl except sprinkles and marshmallows. Adding marshmallows is an optional step. If you don't like the flavour of marshmallow fluff, keep it out. If you use them, they are going to add additional sweetness, so adding a pinch of salt is a good idea to balance out the flavour.
What's the best temperature for baking granola?
While you may be tempted to speed up the process by increasing the oven temperature, don't do it. Your granola may burn or bake unevenly. Keep the temperature at not over 120-130 degrees Celsius and check every 10 minutes. Half-way through, use a fork and gently crush and turn it so it bakes evenly.
Easy Christmas Granola
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- 100 grams of oats
- 20-40 grams of white chocolate drops
- 40 grams of rice pops
- 40 grams of lightly roasted hazelnuts, crushed
- 10-12 spoons of Chai tea syrup
- Christmas sprinkles
- Marshmallows (optional)
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put oats, rice pops, white chocolate drops and crushed hazelnuts into a bowl.
- Add tea syrup and mix. Consistency will depend on your tea syrup, but the syrup shouldn't be dripping from the spoon once you mixed it. If you are using a thin syrup, you may want to use less.
- Add marshmallows and mix (optional). Use either small marshmallows or cut them into smaller chunks so they melt evenly.
- Add sprinkles and gently mix.
- Spread granola on baking paper in a thin layer. It doesn't need to be perfect, but spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 120-130 degrees. It's done when it's crispy and light golden.
- Take it out from the oven, let it cool down and store in an airtight container.