If you never tried it before, you are missing out. You can even sweeten them before freezing and enjoy an instant iced tea in a second.
Why Should You Make Tea Ice Cubes?
Proper iced tea should always be served iced. However, to make a proper iced tea you will need about 10 to 15 minutes. Once the water is boiled, tea leaves steeped and strained, you only need to add a sweetener a lot of ice and your drink is ready. But with tea ice cubes, you can save a lot of time and enjoy a super delicious iced tea in a matter of seconds.
Teas that taste great iced:
- Mint green tea
- Berry flavoured black tea
- Tropical rooibos
- Hibiscus blends with
- Citrusy fruit teas
- Dark oolong teas
- Ceylon black tea
- Coconut blends
You can make tea cubes using both tea bags and loose tea, but make sure they are of a high quality. Some tea bags containing dust may be too bitter and not the best option for this method. You will need to steep tea longer, and a larger amount of leaves to get the best flavour. The tea you will use will be very concentrated, but it shouldn't taste bad or bitter.
Can You Add a Sweetener?
Yes, especially if you are using honey or sweeteners that are more difficult to dissolve in cold water. Besides, you are basically making a ready-to-drink tea in the form of an ice cube. You can use calorie free sweeteners as well.
Tea Ice Cubes – Step by Step Guide
- Have a tray for making ice cubes ready. Both regular plastic trays or silicone trays will work. Wash it thoroughly.
- To make sure you are using the right amount of water, fill your ice tray with water and measure how much water it can hold. Don't steep more tea than it can fit into your tray.
- Bring fresh water to a boil.
- Use about 2 teaspoons of tea leaves per 100-150 ml of water, depending on their strength.
- Cover and steep for 5-10 minutes. You can use either a regular teapot or super handy disposable paper tea filters.
- Don't oversteep green or black tea. Many fruit teas and herbal teas, such as rooibos, will never get bitter and are very forgiving.
- Strain the tea and add a sweetener if needed. Use 1-3 tablespoons, depending on how sweet you want it to be.
- Pour the tea into the ice tray and freeze.
Tea ice cubes are great for theme garden parties. With a wide selection of trays available on the internet, you can be as creative as you wish. Alternatively, use disposable ice cube bags.
How to Make Iced Tea from Tea Ice Cubes?
To make iced tea from tea ice cubes, simply take a clean glass, fill it with tea cubes and add cold water. This technique is great for summer when the ice will melt faster. Fill the glass with ice half full and add cold water. Tap water will work fine too, or any water you usually drink or use for making tea.